Life at Lamplighter Lodge...come sit a spell

Life at this lodge is never dull.

The Lord keeps us dependant on Him - we must choose to grow or find ourselves repeating the lessons. Some learning curves are slight and others test us immensely.

We dream of days when we can shut out the noise of this world and focus on the quiet calm instead. Our lives tend to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of what the world says is important. It's time to sit for a spell in one of the rocking chairs on the porch. We need to take the time to soak up His goodness, to smell the air and all that it carries...like the scent of the trees and flowers around us. To hear the birds singing above us. To feel a gentle breeze in the sunshine. To enjoy God's amazing artistry and focus on Eternity's Paradise...not the busyness of today. Do you need to sit a spell? I know I do.

I'll get the iced tea and meet you on the porch.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

21 Day Challenge - Day 4: Linen Closet


Today I was extra ambitious! I started out working on Day 5: Under the Kitchen Sink because my friend Stephanie posted her before & afters on Facebook and I thought, "I can do that pretty easy and just get it out of the way." Well...I did get it done in about 20 minutes and moved from there to bathroom sinks and then sat down to blog about it, but realized I'd skipped Day 4 so decided I would tackle that too! WHEW! Today was a long, busy but fulfilling day!

SO it is now 8:05 p.m. and I can finally blog about Day 4: Linen Closet :)

We have 2 linen closets: 1 in our Master bathroom and 1 in the girl's bathroom. Well, after much thought, I decided I needed to put some things in the laundry room - which meant a lot of things had to happen, so this wasn't a one closet project now :/

Back story: We had been given a really nice dresser for free a year ago from my friend Lauren. Last week we scored a $1,000 entertainment center for FREE from someone in our homeschool co-op who was moving but couldn't fit it in her new house, so just wanted it gone! That's a whole other story and I'll have to blog about it this week :) Anyway...in order to get the entertainment center in the house, I had to re-arrange furniture & rooms.

I wound up moving the Computer Cabinet that was in our living room to the Guest Room, so that the entertainment center could go where the computer was. BUT that meant I had to move the nice dresser Lauren gave me from the Guest Room, upstairs. I didn't really know what to do with the dresser so it has sat in the hallway for a week - empty. Today I was so blessed it wasn't put somewhere! It fit nicely in the laundry room and it now houses table cloths, napkins and sheet sets! Whoopee!!!!

Current Story: This is one of those plastic shelves that is about 15 years
old. It is ugly, faded yellow, and broken but it was where the dresser is now (in the laundry room). I had put a nice basket on top of it to hold a bunch of cleaning supplies. On the bottom shelf I shoved in my home made laundry soap jugs. It kept them out of the way, but it was awkward getting them under the shelf. Now that the shelf is out of the laundry room, I think I will clean the bugger off and when I have the girls (Rachel) clean the playroom, I will put it in the playroom closet to help get that organized again.

Back to the Linen Closets: this is the Linen Closet in my bathroom. It had blankets, sheets, towels, and toiletries. It was over stuffed and such a pain in the rear end!
(This picture is the bottom half...it's actually deep enough to stand in and close the door,
but we could barely close the door because the blankets were always bulging out and into the door jam....grrrr!).

This is the top half - I only used the shelf with my towels because that's all I could get to.

Here is the bottom half after today. It is still plenty full, but I can see the floor and Anna stood inside and had plenty of room to shut the door!
I have a comforter in there, I am hoping I can eventually purchase my dream bed set and get rid of this one and the one on my bed now - which will free up more room. I also have the beach towels in here. They are big and bulky but I don't know where else to put them.
Oh and Jamie's 2nd wife (the black wolf blanket, which I can't stand because it is so ginormous and awkward to put away..but it ain't staying out!)

Here is the top half. It still feels cluttered because I don't have containers that look all perty, match, are simple, and look clean...like Pottery Barn...some day.
For now, I know where things are and can get to them :)

Now with my Master Bath Linen Closet done, the sheets and table cloths/napkins moved to the laundry room, I needed to get the girl's bathroom linen closet finished. I don't have a before picture...I will get better about that...but I can tell you that it was GROSS!!!

Here is the bottom half. The girls still use those sleeping bags all the time but they just don't fold up well and fall all over the place, so I raided my Craft Room, dumped out the papers and stuff I need to deal with out, and put the sleeping bags in it so that they were contained.
It works :)

I also got the kids those perty colorful baskets (Levi is turquois, Kasey is green, Anna is pink and Rach is purple). The idea was that they use those for their toiletries but it's not working out so well. Maybe now that the bathroom is cleaned up, they will put their stuff in them.
If not, I will re-purpose them...suggestions?

This is the top half. I hate those plastic padded/mattress covers...they are hard to fold!

Back to the Laundry Room: I think Day 10 is the actual Laundry Room Challenge, so I didn't do much other than get things moved from the plastic shelves to the drawers. I will clean and organize it another day. So here is the basket, which fits nicely on top. I forgot to lay my rug out all nice before I took the picture...it would look a lot better if I re-took it, but I'm tired and just want to get this post done :)

This is the top drawer. I put my table cloths, placemats and linen napkins in here.

2nd drawer now holds the girls extra sheet sets...but they could probably be donated. We all need new sheets. Again...someday.

3rd drawer: twin sheets. I keep these because they are nice and if the kids have friends sleep over we make up a cot with a mattress foam pad and the sheets...
it's actually like a real bed and pretty comfortable :)

4th drawer: more extra sheets

Here is a pic of the laundry room with the dresser in there. Looks pretty nice now :)

I had to make sure the door would open! I am looking forward to cleaning in here, it's not too terrible though.

I still need to figure out where this laundry detergent can "live".

I hate leaving this post with a pic that doesn't look "finished"...but the challenge for today was the Linen Closet, and they are done! :)

No comments: