
We are using new Chore Cards that I made from a word document. I laminated them so we could use them over and over. I punched a hole in the corner and put each one on a metal key ring, and then hung each on a clip so that the kids can carry them with them in the mornings when they do their chores. I hang all the cards in the kitchen on a hook so we can always find them.

We have found that, for us, chores are best divided up into "zones"...which is basically a room. For each zone there are specific things that need to be done in order to maintain it daily and then other things to do weekly in order to keep our house clean.
We have also found that certain children (her name begins with "R") need to have the same zone weekly because she is the one who messes it up. Once she begins to take care of that zone on a regular basis, we will be able to swap it along with the others.
On each Chore Card I have listed the things I feel need to be done daily so that I am not stressed out, yes, this is selfish on my part but I know the kids much prefer a calm mommy and not a stressed grumpy one. Daily chores should take no more than 1/2 hour for all zones...unless you have "Kitchen".
I also have listed what we call "Saturday Chores". Saturday is when we "deep clean" each zone. My kids have had to do Saturday chores forever, and it has not gone well! Either because they have done the very least to "finish" the chore (which means they got very good at making it look like they'd done the chore...very sneaky) or they would claim each week that they didn't know they were supposed to "do that". SO, now on the new chore cards, there is a detailed list of what needs to be done in each zone, the materials needed to complete the task and steps to complete the job. I know, I'm brilliant! LOL!

On the back of the card I put the days of the week. Each morning our kiddos are supposed to get their chores done by 8:30 (or 1 1/2 hours after waking up for days we get a late start). At 8:30 I take each of the kids cards and check their zones. If they completed their zone, they get a check in the "OK" square for that day. If they did not complete the zone, they get a check in the frowny face :( If they receive a frown, they are required to pull a Consequence Card because they did not follow our House Rules (disobedience).
**Kasey is typically the one who gets all her chores done. This week shown above, we didn't do chores on Monday so I crossed it off, and Tuesday she didn't clean her room. Really it was no big deal, but she did pull a Consequence Card because that is our House Rule. We have to stick with the plan and maintain our boundaries. If we don't they will never believe what we say and they will always push us. Kasey did have the opportunity to come and "Disagree Appropriately" (aka: not argue) if there was a valid reason she was unable to get her room done.**The kids do the same zones for 2 weeks. I have discovered that the 1st week they generally do not do the zone very well, so by the 2nd week they have it mastered and are ready to pass it off. If a child doesn't get their zone in shape to pass off by the end of the 2nd week, they keep that zone for another 2 weeks. By that point they are READY to get rid of it and will do what is expected *grin*.
Obviously my older 2 can do the hardest zone (Kitchen) so that one alternates between them. When they have Kitchen, they only have one more easy zone. Kitchen is also an all day chore (they need to maintain the dishes & counters). Each child is also responsible for their own rooms (another zone). Anna & Rach share a room so I divided up the tasks that need to be done in their room so it is "fair"...of course Rach winds up doing most of it on her own because she is the one who leaves it in turmoil most days.
So far, this is working. I wish I'd done this years ago!
2 comments:
The cards look fantastic! The zones work well for us too. It helps me to know who is responsible for what & it teaches the children how to clean an entire room/space. What are your consequence cards? Would you share please? I usually assign extra chores off the top of my head for undone zones but your way sounds much better. =0)
Kristine - I wrote a post called "Blessing and Consequence Cards" which is also under my "Chores" label...posted in October 2010. Thanks for stopping by :)
Post a Comment