Life at Lamplighter Lodge...come sit a spell

Life at this lodge is never dull.

The Lord keeps us dependant on Him - we must choose to grow or find ourselves repeating the lessons. Some learning curves are slight and others test us immensely.

We dream of days when we can shut out the noise of this world and focus on the quiet calm instead. Our lives tend to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of what the world says is important. It's time to sit for a spell in one of the rocking chairs on the porch. We need to take the time to soak up His goodness, to smell the air and all that it carries...like the scent of the trees and flowers around us. To hear the birds singing above us. To feel a gentle breeze in the sunshine. To enjoy God's amazing artistry and focus on Eternity's Paradise...not the busyness of today. Do you need to sit a spell? I know I do.

I'll get the iced tea and meet you on the porch.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Let's try this again...

Schedules are a big part of our homeschool life. And I've yet to master them. I have tried so many different schedules. I know some families just go with the flow and are a lot more laid back than we are, but we have discovered that if we don't have a schedule, our kids will just do whatever they want and won't get anything done. They need boundaries and since it is my job to teach them, they will learn boundaries. "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." ~Ecclesiastes 3:1

I think we've finally figured out a schedule...but within the schedule there is some tweaking to be done. I no longer have "Mom's Schedule"...I am the worst. I get my Menu4Moms Daily Reminder which gives me tasks to do each day in one particular "zone"...but mostly I just read those, have yet to "do" them. For instance today's zone is the Master Bedroom & Kids' Rooms and the task is to clean the windows and mirrors. Sounds great! Especially since you're only required to do it for 15 minutes. But for whatever reason, I can just not get myself motivated to "do" it, ever. I know it is a "sin issue" for me, I am lazy. I desire to be the Titus 2 woman who is busy at home, I am lazy at home. That's a whole other topic...

We did wind up simplifying our weekly schedule which helped us feel less frazzled. We dropped our Monday co-op, with that and Scouts at night we have no time for actual schooling during the day and we were exhausted. BUT I am now looking at maybe adding a Wednesday science co-op because we aren't doing our labs at home. Anyway, this is our new schedule:

Monday - school & Scouts (5:30-9 p.m.)
Tuesday - school & Girls Gone Wise Bible Study (every other week 7-9 p.m.)
Wednesday - possibly science lab co-op (9-11 a.m.) and school
Thursday - school
Friday - Legacy (enrichment classes co-op; 9-12 a.m.) or school when Legacy is not is session
Saturday - Saturday chores (9a.m. - 12 p.m.) & FREEDOM
Sunday - Church (7 a.m. - 1 p.m.) & Small Group (5:30 - 8 p.m.)

I feel better (less stressed because I am not having to plan for the Monday science co-op each week). I still do Girl Scouts, but am not having to plan too much yet (come January I will have my hands full with our "God & Church" program I will be leading. I also wound up being a Leader in the Pre-Teen Sunday School class at our new church campus. I don't have to plan much but I need to be more prepared to discuss the lesson. And I have been prepping for our Legacy class (Zoom Engineering) and that has been a little stressful but it has been good. I am a little concerned about adding the Wednesday co-op, I hope I am not going to over commit or worse, drop a ball or 2 with all my juggling.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." ~Phillippians 4:13

I think for me it is a matter of just "doing" it and not procrastinating. I wonder if there is a Bible Study on procrastinating? I know I could use it

As for the kids, we have a new schedule:

7:00-8:30 Morning High 5 (see below) & Chores
  1. Get dressed
  2. Put jammies away
  3. Make bed
  4. Take care of the pets
  5. Eat breakfast

8:30-12:00 School
12:00-1:00 Lunch
1:00-2:30 School (Anna & Rach should finish by now for the day)
2:30-4:00 School (Levi & Kasey should finish now)

4:00-6:00 Free (I start dinner around 4:30)
6:00-6:30 Dinner
6:30-7:30 Free
7:30-8:00 15 minute pick-up and get ready for bed
8:00-8:30 Anna & Rach have quiet time in their room; Levi & Kasey can hang out w/Jamie & I
8:30-9:00 Lights out for A&R, L&K still get time to stay up
9:00-9:30 L&K have quiet time in their rooms
9:30 Lights Out (I don't mind if they stay up until 10 but if they can't get up in the morning they earn consequences and lose the privelege of staying up that late)

There are a few issues yet, but it seems to be working for the most part. We need a school bell that will ring when the kids need to move on to their next subject. I think that is the worst part of our schedule. Levi tends to focus on one subject and then all the others fall behind and he has a hard time catching up...right now he is EXTREMELY behind in Literature & his writing assignments. Rach spends all day doing 2 easy pages of math (she knows the material so it is not too hard for her, she is a day dreamer and I think trying to "beat the clock" would make it more fun for her), Anna spends her day organizing and making sure everything is "just so"...Kasey? She is my wonder child this year. She is on track! PTL! This is a huge step in the right direction for her because the last 2 years she did very little work and just snuck under the radar. The bell would get us moving.

So that's it for now, not very exciting but I am always curious how other homeschoolers "run" their days. Oh if I could just be a fly on the wall of a few of my friends homeschools, the wisdom I would gain!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You would be bored to tears watching us. Homeschooling only one kid is fun and easier but also challenging. He's with me ALL THE TIME!!!!! So we have a close relationship but some days it's too much. I'd like to be a fly on some people's walls as well. Everyone has their own style and it would be interesting to observe. Since it's just Jacob we can be a lot more flexible with time because we don't have to worry about what other people are doing, however, I do have to worry about interruptions from those who don't understand what we're doing as much like my older college age son coming and going. I'm so glad I do it though. Jacob is learning so much more at home than he ever did in public school.